These banana buns are delicious, filling, and healthy. They are ideal to complement your morning coffee or to enjoy as an afternoon snack!
Make your own combination of dried fruits and nuts and choose your favorite topping.
- 2 ripe bananas
- 1/3 cup of vegetable, canola, or coconut oil
- 1/2 cup of agave nectar
- 1/2 cup of almond milk
- 2 table spoons of dry yeast
- 1 table spoon of vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cup of white flour
- 1 cup of wheat flour
- 1/4 cup of flax seed
- Dry fruit of your choice (walnuts, almonds, coconut chunks, prunes, raisins, or other) and dark chocolate chunks.
- In a large bowl, mix all of the dry ingredients (flour, yeast, flax seed, dried fruit, nuts, chocolate).
- In a different bowl, combine and puree all of the wet ingredients (honey, bananas, oil, and vanilla extract).
- In the large bowl, combine the wet puree with the dry ingredients. Mix until you get a uniform dough. Cover and let rest and rise in a warm place for one hour. If you have a bread maker, place the puree and the dry ingredients in the bread maker and let it do the rest.
- Sprinkle flour on the counter top and knead the dough for a few minutes. If the dough gets too sticky, add some flour and continue kneading.
- Divide the dough into little balls in order to make individual banana buns and place them on a cookie sheet. AT this time, you can add a piece of dark chocolate to the top of each dough ball. Cover with a dry towel and let it rise for another hour.
- Bake in the oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 20 minutes or until the center of the buns is fully cooked (stick a toothpick in it and if It comes out dry it’s ready).
- Cover with powder sugar, paint with agave nectar, top with lemon glaze or melted chocolate, or serve naked. Enjoy!
Christmas Banana Buns and Butternut Squash Buns covered with dark chocolate and lemon glaze.