This vegan Reuben sandwich is a total bomb: rye bread, smoky tempeh strips, vegan provolone cheese, sauerkraut, and homemade vegan Thousand Island dressing! The best Reuben you will ever have!
- Freshly baked rye bread
- Vegan butter
- Homemade vegan Thousand Island dressing
- Original or smokey tempeh strips (Lightlife or other)
- Swiss, gouda, or provolone vegan cheese slices (Follow Your Hear is one of my favorite brands)
Thousand Island Dressing
Mix all of these ingredients together:
- 1/4 cup of vegan mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon of ketchup
- 1 tablespoon of thinly diced red onion
- 1 tablespoon of thinly diced pickle
- 1 minced small garlic clove
- In a hot skillet on medium heat, place a buttered slice of rye (the butter should be on the side that touches the hot skillet). Top bread with some Thousand Island dressing, add a slice of cheese, and then some sauerkraut (make sure you drain or squeeze the liquid out of the cabbage before adding it to your sandwich).
- Cut tempeh strips in halves and place 4-6 tempeh pieces on top of the sauerkraut. Cover tempeh with more sauerkraut, then place another slice of cheese on top of the sauerkraut, and then spread some more Thousand Island dressing.
- Finally, top with another buttered slice of rye and cover with a lid. Let bread toast for a few minutes and then flip the sandwich. Cover again and let toast for a few more minutes. Remove from heat, cut in half, and serve hot. Enjoy!