Did you know that beets are a great source of vitamins, minerals, fiber, carbohydrates, and protein? Homemade steamed or roasted beets are wonderful in fresh green salads and potato salads. Sweet and juice beets are even divine when blended in your fruit and vegetable juice or smoothie. They are particularly great with green apple, carrot and orange juice! As many of you may already know, the leafy portion of beets and the stems are also delicious and highly nutritious. You can prepare beet greens just like you serve collard greens and spinach.
This beet greens pie makes a flavorful, colorful and filling meal. The homemade crust is very simple and easy to make. The beet filling, which is beet greens and steams sautéed with onions and garlic, is accompany by a bed of creamy tofu-spinach “ricotta.”
For a fresh touch and some extra fiber, vitamins and minerals, accompany your pie with a refreshing green salad from Green Cuisine’s Salad bar.
I cook pretty much everything in cast iron skillets. The ones we use at home were my husband’s grandparents, so they have been in the family for many decades. I found some cool ones on the internet and decided to share the links on this page.
- 1 1/4 cups of white flour
- 1/2 cup of wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon of backing powder
- 2 tablespoons of oil
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- Optional: sesame, poppy, hemp, and/or flax seeds
- 3/4 to 1 cup of water
Preparation→ In a medium bowl, combine all of the dry ingredients (flour, salt, baking powder, and seeds). Make a hole in the middle and pour the oil. Then start adding the water and, with a wooden spoon, slowly mix all of the ingredients together. Finally, use your hands and knead the dough until you reach a smooth, dry, and manageable consistency. Cover and let rest in the fridge or a cool place.
1) Bottom Filling:
- 8 ounces of tofu
- A bunch of fresh spinach (chopped)
- A tablespoon of olive oil
- Salt, nutmeg, and pepper to taste
Preparation→In a blender or a medium bowl, add chopped spinach, tofu, spices and oil. Blend ingredients until you get a creamy tofu-spinach “ricotta.”
2) Top Filling:
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 1 diced onion
- The leafy greens and stems of 3-4 beets
- Chili flakes, salt and pepper
Preparation→In an oiled large skillet on medium heat, sauté garlic, onion and chili flakes. Then add the chopped beat greens, starting with the stalks, which take a little longer to cook. Season with salt and pepper. Mix well and cover for 5 minutes, or until the greens are lightly steamed. Then uncover and remove from heat.
Put it Together:
- Preheat the oven to 375° Fahrenheit.
- Place your rested dough in an oiled 9” cast iron skillet. With your fingers, start spreading the dough until you cover the bottom and the sides of the skillet.
- Spread the tofu-spinach “ricotta” on the dough and the to with the sautéed beet greens.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until the pie’s dough starts browning. Serve warm with green salad. Enjoy!
Also check the Valentine’s Beet Ravioli recipe: pink dough, made with beet juice, green stuffing, made with processed tofu and spinach, homemade tomato sauce and pesto! Cute, original and delicious!