These spinach patties are super flavorful and easy to prepare, and they could become one of your kid’s new favorite meals! They are packed with vitamins, iron, fiber, and Omega-3, and they are best when bathed in freshly squeezed lemon juice.
Spinach patties also go great with Vegenaise or GSU’s Avocado Dressing.
To make it a meal, accompany these delicious spinach patties with a green salad. For salad ideas, visit GSU’s Salad Bar!
- 5-6 handfuls of fresh spinach (chopped)
- 2 garlic cloves (to increase garlic’s nutritional value and healing properties, mash, mince or dice the garlic cloves and let them sit for 10 minutes before cooking)
- 1/2 cup of diced onion (red onion creates a better contrast)
- 2 tablespoons of ground flaxseed
- 2 tablespoons of wheat or white flour
- 1 tablespoon of hemp seeds
- Oil, salt, and pepper
Optional extra ingredients:
- 1/2 cup of shredded zucchini
- 1/4 cup of cooked quinoa or brown rice
- Sautéed beet greens instead of or with spinach
Place a medium pan or skillet on medium heat and add some oil. Once the skillet is hot, sauté the garlic and onion. Then add the spinach and cook for a couple of minutes, or until all of the spinach is lightly wilted.
Place the sautéed spinach in a bowl and add the ground flaxseed, flour, and hemp seeds; season with salt and pepper to taste. If you are using any extra ingredient, add it at this time. Mix well.
Heat some oil in the same skillet where you sautéed the onions and spinach. With a table spoon, scoop out spoonfuls of the mixture into the pan making oval patties. Let cook for a few minutes until the bottom turns crispy and brown (like a pancake); then use a spatula and flip the patties. Let cook for a few more minutes and remove from skillet.
Serve with lemon wedges and a side of vegan mayonnaise.
Other sides that go well with these spinach patties are quinoa, white/brown rice, or potato salad.
Try the Spinach Patty Sandwich!