These quick vegan sandwiches are ideal for a picnic, a camping trip, or for your lunch break at work. Any type of bread and veggie combination will work, but GSU has a few suggestions. The main ingredients are vegan cheese slices–Follow Your Heart, Daiya, Galaxy Nutritional Foods, Chao, Hearth Island, or other–and meatless cold cuts, such as Yves, Tofurky, or Smart Deli by Lightlife.
- Burger buns or loaf of bread
- Cheddar or American flavor vegan cheese
- Meatless bologna or meatless turkey
- Black olives
- Roasted bell peppers (check out Susana’s recipe)
- Sliced tomato
- Vegan mayonnaise (MindfulMayo or Vegenaise) and mustard
- Open the burger buns and put mustard on one side and mayonnaise on the other. Place the cheese and the cold cuts on the mustard side.
- On the mayonnaise side, place spinach first and tomato slices second (this will prevent the tomato juice from making your bread wet and soggy). Add some roasted bell pepper strips and a couple of pitted black olives.
- Close the sandwich and press down with your palm to compress and secure all of the ingredients. Pack tightly in a Tupperware. Remember to take advantage of those good quality one-time-use plastic containers and tortilla or bread bags. Save them and reuse them! You can also wash and dry used Ziploc bags and reuse the several times.
Enjoy your adventure; you will definitely love your lunch!
Panini version: You can also toast this sandwich in the oven or electric grill!