Veggie burgers are high in protein and fiber and make a quick, healthy, and filling meal. Because of their growing popularity, most grocery stores now offer a wide variety of veggie patties and many restaurants serve their own signature meatless burger. You can also make your own with beans, lentils, chickpeas, soy meat, butternut squash, potatoes, mushrooms, or pretty much any other vegetable you like. Find your favorite veggie burger and spread the word!
- Veggie patties (Beyond Meat, Gardein, Morning Star, Boca, Gardenburger, Yves, or your own)
- Burger buns
- Rice cheese or veggie slices (cheddar or American)
- On top: avocado, tomato, lettuce, onion, jalapeño, or sautéed mushrooms & onions
- Vegan mayonnaise, mustard, and/or ketchup
- Optional: Chipotle mayo (vegan mayonnaise and chipotle sauce)
You can grill or pan fry your veggie patties the same way you would cook any other burger, the only difference is that they don’t require as much time to cook and they won’t make a greasy mess. If you made your own patties it may be safer to use the pan, since they might be a little more fragile than the ones you buy at the store.
Place the burger on the bun and add cheese, vegetables, and condiments. If you want to impress somebody or treat yourself, add sautéed mushrooms and onions with mustard and vegan cheddar cheese!
For sides, potatoes, grilled corn, or a fresh green salad.
♥Meatless and soy free Quorn chicken burger with soy based swiss cheese and avocado-jalapeño vegan mayo on wheat flatbread
- Vegan wieners or sausages (Yves, Smart Dogs, Tofurky, or other)
- Hot dog buns
- Sautéed mushrooms and onions
- Mustard, vegan mayonnaise, ketchup
You can boil the wieners or grill them. I personally prefer to boil them so stay soft and moist. Sautéed onions and mushrooms are definitely delicious on a hot dog, especially with Dijon mustard. You can also get creative and make other sauces, like jalapeño-avocado mayo, pico de gallo, wasabi mustard, or Sriracha-mayo.
If you want to get fancy, you can grill up some vegan bratwurst and serve them with sauerkraut, onions, and mustard.
Vegan sausage with vegan cheese, topped with sautéed onion, peppers and mushrooms (left). Vegetable skewers: zucchini, onion, bell pepper (right).