You can make the dough yourself or you can buy it at the store. Empanada dough discs work great and can be found at most Latin food markets.
♦Add spinach and vegan cheese to the recipe for extra nutrition and flavor.
- Dough: mix 2 cups of flour, a pinch of salt, 1/4 cup of oil, and approximately 1/2 cup of water till you get a dry but soft dough
- 1 package of vegan wieners (Lightlife, Yves, Smart Dogs, or any other brad)
- Mustard of your choice
- Sriracha or other hot sauce
- Vegan cheese of your choice
- Fresh spinach leaves
- Seeds for garnish
If you have access to a Latin food market and you want to simplify this recipe, you can buy the classic empanada dough discs, which are delicious, inexpensive, and will save you some time.
Use two pieces of wiener per dough disc (cut each disc in half).
- Set the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Cut the wieners in halves or thirds.
- If you made your own dough, separate it into small ping-pong size balls. Sprinkle some flour on a clean counter top and use a rolling pin to flatten the dough into thin blankets. If you are using the empanada discs, just cut them in half as you go.
- To fill the blanket, spread some mustard on the dough, then place the wiener and wrap the wiener with enough dough to cover it completely. Repeat the process until you run out of wieners or dough.
- Once they are all in their blankets, place them on a large cookie sheet or cast iron skillet and bake for 25 minutes, or until the dough turns golden brown.
- Let cool off and serve with extra mustard! Enjoy!
Wieners in a blanket on homemade dough with spinach, vegan cheese and poppy seeds: